Why Not Join our Forum
A Historic description of Dwygyfylchi
A Topographical Dictionary of Wales
Samuel Lewis, 1833
"DWYGYVYLCHI (DWY-GYVYLCHI), a parish in the hundred of LLECHWEDD-UCHAV, county of CARNARVON, NORTH WALES, 4 miles (W.) from Aberconway, on the road from Liverpool to Holyhead, containing 444 inhabitants. This parish is situated in the mountainous district of Carnarvonshire, and is bounded on the east by the estuary of the river Conway, which here falls into the Irish sea. In altering and improving the line of road from Liverpool to Holyhead, in 1826, a new route was formed through it from Aberconway, nearly four miles in extent, at an expense exceeding £20,000 : it passes through the immense rocky mountain of Penmaen Bach, which here projects into the sea, and, being carried immediately above the sea, is impassable during the winter from the heavy gales which prevail, in consequence of which the mail and other coaches are compelled to travel along the old line of road through the mountain pass of Sychnant. The village is small, and consists only of a few scattered houses irregularly built.
Copper - ore and manganese have been found in the parish, in small quantities, and pyrites in large masses ; but the copper mines only are now worked, and that upon a limited scale. There is also an abundance of feldspar, but the works have been nearly discontinued.
The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Bangor, endowed with £400 royal bounty, and in the patronage of L Wynne Eyton, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. Tegonwy, is a small neat edifice, pleasantly situated beneath the lofty mountain of Penmaen Bach, and is appropriately fitted up for the accommodation of the parishioners. There are places of worship for Baptists and Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists. The produce of several charitable donations and bequests, amounting in the aggregate to £76.14. per annum, is annually distributed among the poor on St. Thomas's day.
On the mountains within the parish are numerous ancient encampments and fortresses, of which those to the south of Penmaen Bach are the most extensive and singular in their construction. The principal of these occupies a very spacious area, enclosed by a strong stone wall of rude construction, much of which, with its facing of uncemented stones, is still remaining entire. Near it are seven smaller circular enclosures, about fifteen feet in diameter, formed of large upright stones, and in the centre of some of them stands a single upright stone. To the south of these are no less than twenty-six circular enclosures of similar construction, varying from twelve to twenty-two feet in diameter ; and upon a rocky promontory facing Deganwy is a very deep narrow fosse, surrounding a wall of loose stones. The whole of this range of hills appears to have been anciently occupied, the foundations of several buildings being spread around on all sides ; upright stones and carneddau are scattered in various places, and at a short distance stands a large upright stone of rude form, called Maen y Campiau, or " stone of the games," for the celebration of which, and also for the holding of the great Eisteddvodau, or meetings of the bards, these and similar places appear to have been appropriated during the earlier ages of the Britons. The poor are maintained by an average annual expenditure amounting to £92. 17. "