Why Not Join our Forum  

St Seiriol's Church

St. David’s Church

Saint Gwynin’s

St. Paul's United Church

 St Seiriol's Church

St. Seiriol’s was built at the instigation of William Ewart Gladstone, the great Victorian prime minister, whohad a house in the Dwygyfylchi area.

He gave the fine tenor bell in 1885. The foundation stone was laid in 1867 and there were centenary celebrations in 1967. It is built in the Gothic Revival style, and has recently become a listed building.   It has some fine stained glass windows. The architect was the eminent Victorian, Alfred Waterhouse. 

Dennis Roberts (local historian) and he gave me this little write up about the bell, 

The Bell at St Seriol's Church, Penmaenmawr

The Prime Minister in a speech at which he made at the laying of the foundation stone by Mrs Gladstone - Aug 20 1867 kindly promised to supply a bell on the condition that a tower was built to receive it

"The porch and bell tower were completed in 1885 at a cost of £1493-16-6. Bell was duly presented by the Gladstone's. The Bell was manufactured by Taylor & Co, Bell founder of Loughborough and bears the date of 1884. Its key is E and it measures 48 cm across and weighs 21 curts."


St. Seiriol, a sixth century saint, established a cell on Puffin Island, which for that reason is occasionally known as  He later moved Priestholm; the Welsh name is Ynys Seiriol (Seiriol’s Island).   He is reputed also to have had a cell to Penmon, the nearest part of Anglesey.  somewhere (though it is not exactly known where) in the area of what is now Penmaenmawr, to which he occasionally came.  

For more information on Churches in Penmaenmawr and Dwygyfylchi please visit http://www.undeb.org.uk/english.htm

Saint Gwynin’s Church St Gwynin’s is the Parish Church.  

It was built in 1889, the fourth building at least on this very ancient site.   The architect was Bruce Vaughan.   The pews of the present church were made from the roof timbers of the 1760 building, the foundation stone of which was preserved and mounted on the vestry wall of the present church, where it can still be seen.   The centenary of its erection and opening was held in 1989, and for it the church underwent a thorough refurbishing.
The Parish Church of St. Gwynin, Dwygyfylchi   St. Gwynin lived in the seventh century.   He was, according to legend, the son of a wicked prince named Helyg, and his Gwylmabsant (Patronal Festival) is December 31st.
 
wThe old St. Gwynin's of 1760   The old church of St. Gwynin, which was demolished to be replaced by the present building, was erected in 1760, and was smaller than the church of today.   In its turn, it replaced a 16th century church, about the shape of which there are two views locally: it is held by some that the church was L-shaped, having a nave and a single South transept, and by others that it was cruciform.  

St. Gwynin's in the 16th Century   This is the only known picture of the 16th-Century building.   It is seen, in the left of the picture, from the south-east, probably from what is now Old Mill Close (a view that would now be impossible in view of later building development), with a clear view of the South wall and the West end, with a bellcote; the fact that no transept is visible lends credence to the view that the church was L-shaped, with a transept on the far side, and therefore out of view. For more information on Churches in Penmaenmawr and Dwygyfylchi please visit http://www.undeb.org.uk/english.htm